Policy and guidelines
Eco-tourism and looking after the environment
We are committed to trying to reduce, re-use and recycle as much as is possible, wherever we are in the world. Here's a copy of our current environmental policy. We review and update this on a regular basis because we know there's always more we could be doing - but this policy forms the basis of the minimum standards we aim to achieve both in our office and out on the road.
|Policy & Guidelines
We are committed to trying to reduce, re-use and recycle as much as possible, wherever we are in the world. See how.
|Top RT Tips
Take advantage of our years of travelling through our range of top responsible travel tips.
We believe we should give something back to the people & communities we travel through. Find out more.
We are very proud to have been awarded the prestigious AITO Sustainable Tourism Achievement Award.
ALL our trips are carbon offset
Waste Minimisation: reduce, reuse, recycle
Office & Workshop:
- All paper products we use in the office are recycled, from paper to envelopes
- We print on both sides of the paper whenever it is appropriate
- We try to reduce what we print by using email and online media for internal and external communication wherever possible
- We recycle as much as we can, from paper to plastics, glass, cardboard, oils and metal
- We also use recycling schemes for our workshop, e.g. oil, batteries, metal
- We calculate our brochure production carefully, to avoid excessive print runs
- Out of date brochures are recycled at a dedicated paper plant
On the Road:
- We communicate with our crew online - reducing postage and printing
- We recycle wherever possible, often supporting informal projects with local people collecting materials for recycling, e.g. aluminum in Brazil
- We bury our bio-degradable waste or give it to local people feed livestock
- Our crew encourage travellers to minimise plastic drinks bottle consumption
- All trucks provide re-useable shopping bags to use in place of plastic bags
- Vehicles are generally serviced in established workshops, where the local people have a responsible attitude to the disposal of waste products
- Products such as oils and tyres are often reused several times after we have finished with them – as we pass them on to local people
Energy efficiency and resource consumption
Office & Workshop:
- Where possible we turn off our lights, computers, printers and other electrical equipment, particularly at night
- We minimise our energy consumption in whatever way we can, i.e. using slimline energy efficient light bulbs and minimising water usage
- Our office toilets use reduced water cisterns for flushing
On the Road:
- When cooking whilst camping we generally use gas instead of wood. It’s a cleaner fuel and this way we don’t deplete valuable local natural resources
- We do sometimes indulge in a campfire, but only where resources are plentiful and we would not be in competition with local people for supplies
- All our trucks conform to UK emission controls when they leave the UK
- Each truck is regularly serviced and maintained to ensure it runs as efficiently as possible
- Passengers and crew are encouraged to use rechargeable batteries for items such as cameras, personal music systems etc. These can be charged from mains supplies or on our trucks as we travel
- Waste water is disposed of away from fresh water sources
- All our trucks carry sufficient drinking water (approx 450l) for the group, reducing travellers need to purchase plastic bottles of drinking water